Saturday, October 15, 2011

Getting NJ State ID

Guess what?..I got my first ever United States government ID.  I know there's no big deal..well actually it is for me! It unlocks lots of business transactions, example is when opening a bank account  (some banks are too picky, if you're a new immigrant, they would ask for a State ID aside from Passport and SSN card). So, here's the lil drama that we went through over the process...

Last Saturday, Hubby and I tried to get me a State ID but unfortunately it was unsuccessful due to some lame reasons that the lady from State of New Jersey MVC told us. Despite of presented to her my Passport with attached valid I-94, K-1 Visa, SSN card, Married Cert., first class mail from USCIS and a bill that's under my name, she was not satisfied still. Instead she told me afterwards that I need to get my Biometrics with USCIS done first then come back later. Hmm I guess this is more likely to happen to new Immigrants with pending Adjustment of Status for Permanent Residency. We told her that our case is in process already but she wouldn't want to consider it. Apparently, we don't have much choice that time but to leave the office. We don't wanna discuss more that time because we forgot to print what's stated in their website about the requirements (which I supposed they should know) though I vividly remember I have met their 6 pt. ID Verification when I took it online. Ugghh! if only I wasn't too confident that these people who work for NJ MVC knew what they're doing, I should have brought the validation note from their website. My bad, well lesson learnt. Never assumed!

Anyhow, what happened didn't stop our plan to come back this morning...we arrived around 9am and there was a short line outside the office already. I really don't mind falling in line, I kind of used to it in Pinas so while others' started to get annoyed I enjoyed the cold breeze :P. Few minutes later we're inside. We presented same documents we had last Saturday to a black lady and as expected confusion drew to her face while reviewing my requirements. At this time we shown her the printed confirmation from their website but oh boy she still wouldn't want to trust it. Geeezz what's up with that? She let us seated while she go spoke to her supervisor for like 20-30 minutes. It made me think is my case that rare or it's them who's not doin their assignment? Maybe it's in that branch only. Whatever it is, we were hoping for a positive outcome. Oh Speaking of positivity her she is walking slowly as if nobody is waiting, but at least we're right she told us we are good to go for the next step. Alright, so we proceeded to another counter for photograph and thanks goodness this time the lady did her job swiftly.

After the not so smooth transaction we had, nonetheless we leave the MVC office happy especially me having my NJ State ID on hand :D. Then, we went to Asian Grill to have our lunch with hubby's best friend, enjoyed their delicious foods as usual and afterwards we went to Starbucks and enjoyed our Frappe ;)! Ended great! yeah!

To those with pending case AOS status and want to get a State ID, I wish you guys to have a pleasant experience at your State's Motor Vehicle Commission.

♥M


No comments:

Post a Comment